Wednesday, August 16, 2006

Half year summary 2006











I will remember the first half of 2006 as the time I discovered Language of Flowers. More than a year had passed since the release of their debut album Songs About You, but I still discovered the band in time to attend my most amazing concert ever. Spring 2006 was also the time I took farewell of Belle and Sebastian. It was time to move on, but I did not start over here and now. I have spent the spring trying to fill my music gaps in the 2000s. My pop heart beats rapidly to twee and softpop. The Snow Fairies, The Arrogants, and Brittle Stars are my new favourite bands.

Albums
I have not taken the time to listen to that many new releases. For the first time in life I am beginning to feel tired of the album concept. I find it hard to keep up the interest after forty minutes with the same record. I thus only include six albums on my list as I want to be honest with myself. With an eye on the fall, I look forward to new albums by Laurel Music and Like Honey.

1. Katie Goes to Tokyo - Katie Goes to Tokyo
2. Mates of State - Bring It Back
3. The Charade - A Real Life Drama
4. The Essex Green - Cannibal Sea
5. My Latest Novel - Wolves
6. The Pipettes - We Are The Pipettes

Songs
Sambassadeur make me feel comfortable. They are there every spring ready to deliver. Coastal Affairs is only an EP between two albums, but Marie is the best song of the year so far. For me personally, the lines you know we were scientists, every conversation was a test means everything

1. Sambassadeur - Marie
2. Belle and Sebastian - Another Sunny Day
3. Vapnet - Färjemansleden
4. Camera Obscura - Lloyd, I'm Ready to Be Heartbroken
5. Katie Goes to Tokyo - Until She Breaks
6. The Essex Green - Penny and Jack
7. Firefox Ak - City to City
8. The Charade - My Song to You
9. Rainer Maria - Catastrophe
10. My Latest Novel - Pretty in Panic

(Originally published on July 2, 2006)

No comments: