Sunday, August 20, 2006

Girl Laying Down

Anna Ternheim chose the fast track to the big stage when she made a cover of Broder Daniel's Shoreline. It is very unfortunate that it is possible to profit on the work of others when you do not add anything yourself. Anna Ternheim's version of Shoreline does not feel honest. Anna Ternheim has never been Henrik Berggren. I thought it was a shame that she ended her debut album Somebody Outside with Shoreline whereas her own fantastic songs Wedding Song and All for Me were hidden on a limited edition EP released by her own do it yourself label Only Records.

I hate that Ternheim has chosen to belong to a record company that spreads commercial crap music. I wish that things were different, but I can not ignore that I love Ternheim's music. I love when she goes her own way. About a week ago I bought the thirty-second issue of the Swedish lifestyle journal BON only for the interview with Anna Ternheim. Seven pages confirmed what I already knew, she should not give any interviews. I had to wait some time to get a clue about how her second album Separation Road would sound. Girl Laying Down was played on the radio program The Music Journal (Musikjournalen) on P3 (the third channel of the national Swedish radio) earlier this weekend. I have listened to it from a stream afterwards, unfortunately in poor sound quality.

Only Anna knows what Girl Laying Down is about. I do not know if I will bother to read the lyrics in the booklet. Girl Laying Down is not a new A French Love. It is hard to believe that this is the same artist who convinced me with My Secret that she was the future and the best Swedish singer/songwriter who has ever entered a scene. Anna Ternheim comes to Malmö on October 28. I am not certain that she will leave me breathless this time. If it does not sound better than this, she might as well give away the piano to someone who needs it more.

At the same time, I know that I only have heard one song from Separation Road and that the other songs may be the best of the year. The uncertainty makes me crazy.

No comments: