Saturday, October 7, 2006

The Wilson Hospital - Call Me A.S.A.P.

Katie, Katie, Katie. Every time I try to write a few lines that capture her music I end up pressing delete, delete, delete. So far I have only managed to write one text (it is found at the label records if you want to read). So this time, I have only two things to say. Firstly, I forgot Alone among the favourite songs. Perhaps the finest song on the album. Secondly, I have not mentioned that Katie played with Morten Tromm in The Wilson Hospital before she started her solo career as Katie Goes to Tokyo. Prior to that, she played in Backfish. Forget about Katie for a moment and I will tell you a little about yesterday instead.

Strange enough, I was actually late last night. I came to Blekingska when only one hour of the day remained. I did not even have time to order at the bar before the first band went on stage. I was very confused yesterday. For once I did not know much about the bands and thus mixed them up. The first band Ultrasport played too fast for me to distinguish the bands. The second band Cats on Fire played Draw in the Reins as their last song. Draw in the Reins was in fact the only song I had heard by any of the bands prior to the show. Other people had fun, but I rated the two gigs as "good" only and certainly nothing to die for. At least it was better than being at home.

After the gigs, Fraction Discs started the music from the DJ booth. I had always thought that two boys ran the record store Fraction Discs. To my surprise a boy and a girl, who turned out to be a couple, stood and turned the discs. I liked their music and several times I thought "damn, what a great song", but it was impossible to dance to the music. I am not too sure about the regrowth among the pop kids either as no one was happy when The Sea Urchins - Pristine Christine was played, and the dance floor emptied almost entirely to the tunes of Shop Assistants - Safety Net. The night's best moment was when Tara Mascara faded into The Happiest Days of My Life. I picked up a few band recommendations by Jörgen but I was not so happy with his and Renée's efforts as DJs. Anyway, they were very nice (I wish that all DJs could be that nice) and it is hard to get mad at them when their record store is so good.

It did not get more exciting than this yesterday.

You may wonder what all this has to do with Katie. Honestly, I have no idea. What I do know is that there is another concert tonight, and that I am late again. I must eat, take a shower, and get ready. But first, a perfect song that sets the mood for the evening:

The Wilson Hospital - Call Me A.S.A.P.

No comments: