Sunday, October 8, 2006

Camera Obscura and The Essex Green - Malmö October 7

We sat on the bus and suddenly the lights in all windows extinguished simultaneously. An explosion in an electric switchboard temporarily blacked out the electricity in Malmö, and that was the most unexpected thing that happened yesterday.

When I arrived at the venue Kulturbolaget I was told that the concerts would start later because of football. I did not even know that it was a Euro qualifier night. Lagerbäck's football philosophy is very boring and I do not care about our national team. I much rather watch Arsenal, or go to Malmö to attend concerts with Camera Obscura and The Essex Green. I had not seen any of the bands before.
I ran into an acquaintance of mine. He asked me which band I looked forward too the most. I said that I wanted to see both bands although I was a bit afraid that Camera Obscura would be boring. He answered that The Essex Green is the very definition of boring. I did not believe him then.

Camera Obscura entered the scene at 9:45 pm. Kulturbolaget is probably the world's worst place for concerts. Everything is very Brandon Walsh-like at that place. I thought that Camera Obscura would be the same but I was wrong. Very wrong.
Tracy Anne was handsome, beautiful, and very charming. A guy in the audience shouted I love you and I understood him. I myself was in love with Teenager, Lloyd, and wonderful Eighties Fan. Camera Obscura left their setlist on the stage after the show. I was a bit tempted to jump up and grab it, but I noticed that another boy who was a Camera Obscura fan had the same idea so I let him get it. The DJ played The Field Mice - Emma's House at that moment and the boy who was happy to get the setlist lived up as if it was the last song of life. Ever. I actually felt the same. I did not know it then, but Emma's House proved to be the best thing of yesterday.

The Essex Green started playing exactly at 11 pm. There is a clock on one of the poles on the stage at Kulturbolaget. It is probably placed there by the club manager who counts the seconds so that no band play longer than they should. Only at Kulturbolaget. After all, I have attended pop concerts at many venues, but I have not found a clock on the stage visible to the audience at any other concert venue.
The Essex Green opened their live set with the we're not breaking any records yet-song. It started well but the rest of their show really went downhill. A guy behind me constantly shouted Great Late. Damn tiring. Penny and Jack was fine, but The Essex Green disappointed me with their other songs. The Essex Green played their super hit in the end of the show, but it felt very lifeless. I do not understand how a super song like The Late Great Cassiopia could sound so boring live. How can you throw away such a song? Mrs. Bean was beautiful though and probably the best song in the live set. Otherwise, it mostly felt that singer Sasha Bell wanted to go home and she looked more at the setlist than the audience. I was not expecting The Essex Green to be boring, but they were in fact extremely boring. A long time has passed since a band let me down that much at a concert. Yet it somehow felt that The Essex Green were very happy to play at Kulturbolaget in particular and the people at Kulturbolaget were very happy to arrange a concert with The Essex Green.
The audience clapped the band half-heartedly for the encore. People clapped, but the pace of applause never increased. The Essex Green came back on the stage and played Julia, but I felt that I wanted to go home. Kulturbolaget should had changed the order of the bands since Camera Obscura was the only band which deserved encore this evening.


Camera Obscura: Eight out of Ten
The Essex Green: Six out of Ten

No comments: