Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Saint Etienne - He's on the Phone

There are days when life surprises me. My Saturday was such a day. I woke up very lately, and felt sick and worn in the evening. I should had stayed at home. I was, however, invited to a pre party and went there against my better judgement. I arrived lately with no real expectations on the night out. I did not know what would happen more than that we would stay in Lund.

We came to the night club at Småland's nation shortly after midnight. I had only been there twice before and both times felt lost, despite being in good company. This night would change that.
Once inside, we found a room with the video game Supar Mario Bros. projected on one of the walls. Super Mario Bros. was one of the favourite games of my childhood and I had not played it in ages. In my first attempt, I died on course 1-2 and said that something was wrong with the controller. That is a common excuse, but I would prove with my second attempt that this was true. I changed controller and managed to get to course 8-4, despite playing after I had drunken a couple of beers and another couple of drinks. A nice acquaintance of mine sat on my right side together with his friend. They were likeable and cheered me on. On my left, a short blonde girl sat and criticized everything I did. She insinuated that I was sober when I went through the difficult sections. That was not really true, but I let her get away with it. She said she had drunken a drink in every room in her student corridor at the pre party and I believed her. I should had hated her digs at me because I got nervous when I advanced to the more difficult courses, but she was rather cute as she lisped while pretending to be cool and arrogant. An audience had gathered inside the room towards the end. To their joy, I managed to finally put Bowser in the lava on the last level with only two lives left. I celebrated a triumph I had not experienced since I was a kid.

After that, we wanted to celebrate and moved to the dance floor where we were welcomed by He's on the Phone. The female DJs were actually quite bad, but to put on that particular song at exactly that time was a hit.

What an intro. Sylvie is probably even better, but I never understood the music video of that song. I do not really understand why I am posting a Saint Etienne song on a Monday night which has become Tuesday, but I suppose I just need to. Like some kind of therapy. I want to be reminded of what life is like when I am happy.

Right now, my student corridor is extremely boring. Some nice people live here, but it is sad that the fruit flies are most living things on weekends. One more month and then I will be spared this shit.

No comments: