Wednesday, October 18, 2006

Emma's House is empty

I can no longer remember how I came across this song. I was happy every time I heard it, I knew that the band was named Field Mice, and that was all that mattered. I had never heard of Sarah Records and many years would pass until I understood how things cohered. The universe, life, and pop music.

Ask me to put together a mix CD to a sympathetic person who likes pop music without knowing its history. Emma's House would be one of the first songs to be written down. I actually use to ask the DJ to play Field Mice when I go out. Sometimes people ask me what song I wished. When they find out, most just laugh. I take no offense, but Field Mice is a serious band for me. Occasionally people understand me, as on a night out in early September this year. I danced with a girl and we talked about what songs the DJ should play next. "Canada", I said. "Emma's House", she said. "Canada is better", I continued. "More people recognize Emma's House so it works better on the dance floor", she replied. "How about Canada after two when people have become drunk then?", I asked, smiling. She nodded and laughed. I do not remember if the DJ played any Field Mice for us but that was a nice night. It was in fact one of the best nights this fall (but not only because of that).

The world's best concert club is called Emma's House and lives in Mejeriet's facilities. That is of course no coincidence. Emma's House was the first song to be played after Language of Flowers' wonderful concert at Mejeriet last spring. The DJ Popscene-Daniel seems to have brought the tradition along as the same song was played immediately after Camera Obscura's show at Kulturbolaget. Unfortunately, Josef's concert club Emma's House is taking a break right now.

While we still speak about The Field Mice, I can take this opportunity to tell you that I really want the 2CD compilation Where'd You Learn to Kiss That Way. Too bad that it is virtually impossible to find in mint condition without paying over the odds. Well, it is time to round off today's post. This is just nostalgic waffle for those of you who already are familiar with The Field Mice. The rest of you should check out Emma's House as it is an excellent introduction to a very important band.

Five to six that's what the time is
The cold cuts through my shirt of cotton made
Five to six that's what the time is
Where you are
Where you now are
You have nothing to live up to
You have nothing to live down
Emma's house is empty
So why do I call it Emma's house?

No comments: