Saturday, September 2, 2006

Sambassadeur - Lund September 1

The tambourines are shaking but I don't hear the song
It's my favorite song but I don't like the crowd

I came to Blekingska, hoping to hear Marie and If Rain. The audience was, for once, quiet during the songs and it made me happy. Still, I managed to ruin yesterday's concert myself.

Sambassadeur played at Blekingska an October night two years ago. I was there, and I really hated the crowd for showing the band such poor respect. Neither sooner nor later has a concert become so destroyed by annoying, talking people who primarily were out to get drunk as hell. I can understand the need to drink booze, but it is so unnecessary to spoil the pleasure for other people.
Yesterday, most things were as usual at Blekingska. I met a lot of acquaintances, but I did not go out to experience There Is a Light That Never Goes Out. I was there for Marie and hopefully this fall's best concert. I had high expectations. I was welcomed by Red Sleeping Beauty's wonderful song Stupid Boy. The club was full of people but it was no problem to get a place at the front row. Apparently, people only care about that when the band is called Tough Alliance or Le Sport.

I got confused when I looked at the scene. I counted to a female singer and four men. I had always thought that there were only four band members in Sambassadeur. Evidently, the drum machine was replaced by a man who seemed to have a good time behind his drum kit. If Rain started the show and I should had loved it. It was the autumn's first concert and one of my favourite songs, but I still felt that I missed something. I started to get nervous about the concert, but all doubts disappeared when the crowd became silent for a moment and always waiting for something more to come opened the evening's second song. New Moon is always pleasant to hear and it was so sweet yesterday when Anna sang like i believe in you du-du du-du-du. Claudine from the latest EP Coastal Affairs completed a fantastic start of the show.

The right conditions were there, but I did an incredibly stupid mistake. The band had put out a setlist on the floor. It is of course a common thing to do, but setlists never use to be visible to the audience. I could not help but peek at the setlist. After that, it did not feel as great as it should when Anna said that they would play French pop, but in English.

Marie has been more than a song for me this summer. The lines you know we were scientists, every conversation was a test have been a support every time I doubted myself. In the recent summer, it suddenly struck me one day ay work, when I was reading the acknowledgement of an article, what Sambassadeur meant with do you have the time for me, do you still believe in Pierre and Marie. The couple Curie would had been honored. Played at Blekingska as the sixth song, Marie was not as great live as on the EP. It is probably impossible to recreate the same magic. Marie was anyhow the best song of the night and that is still a good enough mark.

Between the Lines was received very well by the audience. Ice and Snow is also a favourite song of mine, but Sambassadeur could had performed it better. Then a rather weak ending followed, but it did not ruin the show. It could had been a wonderful evening, but I do not know why it just became "nice". I did not actually recognize Anna's appearance, but she was of course the same singer of the very same band which I fell in love with a spring day two years ago. Now Sambassadeur go into the studio and it is only a matter of time before I fall again.


Seven out of Ten

Setlist
If Rain
New Moon
Claudine
In the Calm
Dead Leaves
Marie
Between the Lines
Ice and Snow
Whatever Season
Kate
One Last Remark

No comments: