Monday, May 25, 2009

The Popguns - Waiting for the Winter

Six weeks gone and not a word
this means the end

Wendy Morgan's desperate, unhappy voice was followed by jangle guitars through a fantastic upbeat melody. I was once again fascinated by the cirumstance that the most bitter insights often are told with the most uplifting and catchy pop melodies.

The Popguns hit me right in the heart on the very first attempt. Waiting for the Winter was their great super hit and the perfect introduction to the band.

The other eight songs on the debut album Eugenie followed the same line. Beautiful, sad and amazing Down on Your Knees reinforced that image. Eugenie was an emotional rollercoaster built by cynical, depressive lyrics about much more than failed relationships.

Much later I would discover that The Popguns made an even better song called Still a World Away. A song which inspires, gives hope and makes me dream. I will write about it another time. Until then, I just want to state that The Popguns was the best band of the 90's together with Red Sleeping Beauty and Belle and Sebastian.

No comments: