Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Setlists and pop dreams

Among all the stressfull Friday nights at Blekingska last fall, I remember one conversation very well. The band Irene were preparing the stage for sound check. In the meantime, I was speaking to Tobias and Malin of Laurel Music about which songs they were going to play. Please don't show me the setlist, I do not want to know anything before the show, I said. Why not, Malin asked. Then and there I found it difficult to give a quick answer and probably said something stupid such as it gets more exciting that way without further explaining myself. It stroke me afterwards that this conversation opened my eyes. At that moment I became aware that there are so many different ways to experience a concert.

A great deal of my experience at pop concerts is the concept of being left unknown about exactly what songs that will be played and how they are arranged, in the same way that you do not know how things are going for your favourite team in the next match. It may seem a bit silly that this could impact the experience so much, but we both forget that when the favourite band plays our song.

As a promoter, I collected setlists from most, but not all, gigs at Blekingska last fall. It may be fun to look at them in the future. For the record, I add the setlists to this post as well. The dotted line separates the ordinary concert set from the encore.


Like Honey, September 21, 2007
New YorkTilesOld BoyTelling LiesFive Minute DreamNothing's Right
--------------------
Airport

Language of Flowers, September 21, 2007
Where You Belong - Who You're With - Cat's Miaow - You're The One - Summer's Been and Gone - If It's Not You - Songs About You - Panda Girl - I Don't Care at All - Tara Mascara
--------------------
Botanic Gardens

Secret Shine, September 28, 2007
OblivionLost MemorySound of LightDeep ThinkerHate You When You SmileAdoredStars in the SkyHit the GroundCafe CrashWish Coming TrueLoveblind

Friday Bridge, October 5, 2007
Introduction de la SoiréeLe Satin S’empareThe End of the AffairLiteratureThe Lady JulieArmance L’ActrcieShanghai ShippingEdward the HedgehogThe Story of AgnesLove and Nostalgia 24 Hour Party PeopleIt Girl

Strange Idols, October 12, 2007
Say AnythingOld TimesHe’s Out Looking for LoveShe’s Gonna Let You Down AgainX-ray VisionNew songIntensionsBlue Espers/Berlin - It’s No Fun
--------------------
Ovanite Sensation

Laurel Music, November 2, 2007
The Way Love GoesDreams and LiesDisappearNorthern LightNo One Wants ForeverInto the BlueSirens
(in Copenhagen the following night Laurel Music added Question Mark, Karma 2 AM, and another new song to the concert set)

Irene, November 2, 2007
The GameLittle ThingsLooking for LoveStardustSeasideWaterfrontEnd of the LineSeptember SkiesOnly YouBaby I Love Your WayJune Is FlatLittle Lovin’By Your Side

Lucky Soul, November 10, 2007
My Brittle HeartOne Kiss Don’t Make a SummerAin’t Never Been CoolStruck DumbAdd Your Light to Mine, BabyThe Towering InfernoBaby, I’m BrokeGimme LoveThe Great UnwantedHeatwave by Marta Reeves and The Vandelas – Lips Are Unhappy
--------------------
The Killing Moon by Echo and The Bunnymen

The Sunny Street, November 30, 2007
DrawingsBlackberriesMorton and ClaudeKill YouRainy HeartsComediansCyclistsAll the WayGreasy CrispsPottery and Glass


In some strange way, I managed to also get a setlist from Säkert's gig at Kulturbolaget in Malmö on December 1. I post that one as well, but I will not bring home any more paper pieces from concerts in a while.

Säkert, Kulturbolaget December 1, 2007
Och Jag Grät Mig till Sömns - Rotary - Stetoskop - Någon Gång Måste Du Bli Själv - Ditt Kvarter - Det Här Är Vad Dom Säger - Min Hemstad - Faller Isär - New song - Sanningsdan - Allt Som Är Ditt - Är Du Fortfarande Arg
--------------------
Det Kommer Bara Leda till Något Ont - Vi Kommer Att Dö Samtidigt - 2006

No comments: