Monday, June 30, 2008

Pretending to see the future

In November 2006 the news reached me that legendary Shelflife Records, the record label which had become my favourite one in less than a year, would start releasing records again. Shelflife's founder Ed Mazzucco was ready for the difficult second catalogue.

I looked forward to Shelflife's comeback with joy, but I feel greatly disappointed now that I have listened to the first five releases of the new LIFE1000 series. I soon realise that the old LIFE catalogue was made of bands that were unique "once in a life"-gems gathered under one roof. I need to accept that the old bands were much better and still give the new bands a chance. I see potential in The Ruling Class. At the same time, I can not help but wonder why the band's development has stood still since the demo of Umbrella Folds was posted on their myspace last year.

The key words of the new catalogue appears to be "talented but boring". You can not live on old merits forever, not even if you once were the best in the world.

No comments: